Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Sultan

We met in the lobby of the Ritz Carlton. We were both attending an investor's forum for a new upscale tourism product. He is a renowned local boy turned international mogul: Billionaires Boys Club. I had seen him the day before in the common sessions but had not met him. I was intensely fascinated by his projected power, wealth, business acumen and of course the very very suave Armani suited package it was all wrapped up in.
The second morning, I was up early to try to get a head start on my day and he apparently was up playing his daily tennis. He was rather chipper and merry; a stark contrast to my not-a-morning-person gloom. He was efficient and polite in his greeting, I'd even say he transferred his confidence through his handshake. I was hooked. Easy as that.
We met many times over the course of the next few months, I can't quite recall what the excuse was. Then he started talking more than shop and I realised that somehow I had captured the attention of this much desired and admired man. I think the main root of this interest was the fact that unlike most people I neither fawned over him nor kissed his ass. Maybe he wanted to know why..
Anyway, again years have passed and our friendship has been cemented. Over time he has always been lightly flirtatious with me but he has never ever hit on me or made any moves at all. But hey.. he does have a fairly famous though slight trophy wife. The day I told him I had decided to take up a consultancy that would relocate me to another island was the first time I saw him kinda unnerved. He tried to quash the idea with an authority I suppose usually works on others.. but I had to remind him that he aint my boss or my man and my mind was made up.
Somehow I don't think this story has ended yet ..
Lessons Learnt: Every single encounter with the Sultan was a life lesson. As soon as I find the words to articulate them, I will write it down.

No comments: