Thursday, September 21, 2006

Mr. Man

We met in the lobby of a [not-so] 'Jolly' Hotel in Antigua. We were both catching the shuttle to a wedding. I remember him because he was the only other single person there. I thought you were supposed to meet lots of singles at weddings?? Anyway.. that is for another post.
About a week later I saw him in church, he stayed back after the crowd to greet me. On that occasion I remember thinking, 'my he must work out' and feeling immediately guilty as he was much older than me and we were still in the house of the Lord. A few days later, I bounced into him at the supermarket. Just as I was starting to think it must be a sign, he asked me out to dinner.
He was 23 years older than me. He was divorced. He liked good food.. and me! We got along great and after about four fabulous dinners, one night he kissed me. Just so. As if he had done it everyday before.
Now I am a finnicky person yes, and I had been studying him to see if there was just one little thing I didn't like that would turn me off. Nose hairs, long fingernails, stale geriatric breath, etc etc but nothing. He was always very well groomed, nice smelling and, well, his kisses were sweet. So much for my theory about old[er] men. This kissing and stuff continued for a while until one day I was by his house picking up something for him, I was talking to him on my mobile:
Me: "you didn't tell me where to find the keys bredrin"
Him: "they are on the table. and I am NOT your bredrin.. I am your MAN."
Me: **silence**
The first time I was ever stunned into a relationship. I had to take a lie down on his bed.
All in all, it turned out well. Great even. Most of the time...
He took my decision to move to another country quite well [in comparison to some others. soon give you that story] and even toyed with the idea of expanding his business into some other islands as an excuse to see me more often.
We keep in touch. Alot.

3 comments:

Island Spice said...

KG.. you know you inspired this one. I agree on the fact that they are 'broken in' .. I working on another post based on all the old men I've dated. Link me back soon :)

Gela said...

Oh, that's nice. I do think I'll be visiting this blog more often.

Gela said...

Yeah, those older dudes are really assertive that way fo' sure man!!