Tuesday, November 07, 2006

On 'carpe diem'..

Howdy folks. I have been and will be away from communication methods for a while. I hope there will be more exciting tales to tell soon. Meanwhile here is a quote from my new fave show:
A couple of hundred years ago, Benjamin Franklin shared with the world the secret of his success. Never leave till tomorrow, he said, that which you can do today. This is the man who discovered electricity. You think more people would listen to what he had to say. I don't know why we put things off, but if I had to guess, I'd have to say it has a lot to do with fear. Fear of failure, fear of rejection, sometimes the fear is just of making a decision, because what if you're wrong? What if you're making a mistake you can't undo? The early bird catches the worm. A stitch in time saves nine. He who hesitates is lost. We can't pretend we hadn't been told. We've all heard the proverbs, heard the philosophers, heard our grandparents warning us about wasted time, heard the damn poets urging us to seize the day. Still sometimes we have to see for ourselves. We have to make our own mistakes. We have to learn our own lessons. We have to sweep today's possibility under tomorrow's rug until we can't anymore. Until we finally understand for ourselves what Benjamin Franklin really meant. That knowing is better than wondering, that waking is better than sleeping, and even the biggest failure, even the worst, beat the hell out of never trying.
- Meredith Grey, ABC's 'Grey's Anatomy'

11 comments:

Gooders Girl said...

Will take heed of this and will do my expenses report tonight!

Island Spice said...

Welcome Debbie. Been meaning to write to coquettishly about Don..
I'll be back next week.. :)

Crankyputz said...

Hope you can still make our thursday evening date.....CP

Unknown said...

Yeah, that makes sense. I have a nasty habit of procrastinating. I use to-do lists to help fight it.

Lex said...

I love that quote!

I was just having a fit last week because of fear of making a decision. To me choosing one thing inherently necessitates missing out on something else. I can't handle that. I want 'em both!!

Nice.

Marc M said...

Procastination is bad - but for me its a matter of tradeoffs. Whatever I do at one moment is at the expense of something else that I could be doing at the same time. Sure I could study this Friday night, but then I'd be giving up going out and having some fun.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I agree. Failing IS better than not trying. I continue to collect rejection letters from various literary journals, but once in awhile an editor will send a positive letter of encouragement or accept my short story.

Anonymous said...

We certainly live in world where procrastination is running rampant. Where are the go getters? Where are those people who will do what it takes? I need to ask myself these questions everytime I ever feel weary. This post really rejuvenated me

Anonymous said...

Wise words for the foolish.

Anonymous said...

good quote from a man who took his entire life to invent one useful thing.

Island Spice said...

I'm back!! :) Missed u all. I soo can testify that failing is better than never trying..

Welcome Aurie! Glad to be of help.
@ Trouble.. oh how i missed u
@ Owen .. i ain invent anything lately.. yuh thowing words or wha?