Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Chief. Part 3

There was a major crisis in the Tourism industry. Everyone and anyone was getting involved. This of course, included the Chief who was hosting daily press conferences. In the midst of the excitement he said something inaccurate and negative about my company. I was livid. Hot boss or no hot boss who the hell was he to be making public announcements about a major project of our company without some consultation?? Before I could even process it all, my CEO came to my office. I let him know exactly how I felt about it and he said he agreed and would speak to the Chief about how to move forward and repair our image.
Hours later, the CEO called from the Chief's office and said I was to join them as soon as possible. As I headed over there my thoughts raced. This time I was nervous not because I thought he was fine but because I was trying to think of how best to structure my criticsim of the Chief's earlier statements. When I reached, his secretary happily ushered me in and I found him as I did last time: coffee, newspaper and CNN. My CEO was nowhere to be seen. 'Ms. Spice. I hear you are not happy with my public speaking. Sit. Let's talk.'
I sat and, even though I thought he looked particularly dashing that day, I fixed my gaze at a spot above his head and launched into my tirade. I spoke of policy and procedure, pointed out the flaws in his statements and ended with my suggestions for damage control. He was silent. I placed my hands and my gaze in my lap bracing for his infamous temper. A few minutes passed, and when I looked up he was leaning back in his chair watching TV again. He turned to me and said: 'So, how was the visit to London? I hear its cold over there...'
There was yet another press conference the following morning about my company and my project. I was invited to sit at the head table. I leaned over to whisper to my CEO when a commotion and camera flashes heralded the arrival of the Chief. He smiled at me as he took the mike. For the next 15 minutes I listened as he spoke on policy and procedure.. suddenly I realised that he was repeating and expounding on all the things I had said the day before!! My face flushed as he ended by saying 'I will take your questions now but I will need to refer to Ms. Spice as necessary'. My CEO winked and gave me a thumbs up. When it was over the Chief leaned over and said 'Good job Ms. Spice. Welcome to the team.' My smile appeared in the newspaper the following day.

13 comments:

Woman Analyzer said...

This is the same chief that wanted to come over for dinner on your birthday? I didn't know he was hot! The drama in this post is just like a romantic comedy. You are so lucky!!!

SimplEnigma said...

Whoo-hoo!! I love it...For a minute, I thought I was reading a novel, y'know...

I'll keep living vicariously through you, since there are no hot chiefs at my job. Or at any of my friends' jobs...LOL.

Anonymous said...

Gosh. I love the mating dance you 2 are doing professionally. I find it very sexy!!

Anonymous said...

Did I mention I hate that the new beta blogger doesn't allow you to tab to the next field when commenting. After I type in my name and tab, it goes back to the comment box or to the top of the page. What's up with that??? Is it just me???

Anonymous said...

Hmm, a sexy boss at work would be great... I work in a mainly female office in a majority female industry. Someone to bring a smile to my day while working would be great!

Mad Bull said...

Interesting story yes! So what I wanted to ask was this: How did you feel whenthe Chief brought up the "London cowl" argument? I know I would have felt like "Ra$$ Yu nevah heard anything I just said, or maybe you don't think what I said was important!" and me wouldah vex! What happened after that?

Island Spice said...

@ Mad Bull: of course mi did bex! I was like this man ain hear meh? But what could I do? He clearly had no intention of saying anything more. I recapped my points before I left!
And yes ladies.. Its nice to have some eye candy around at work.. encourages me to look sharp everyday. u never know.. :)

Crankyputz said...

Something about men in suits who are confident and powerful in their mini sphere's....sigh..

Unknown said...

Nice! See what happens when you speak up (and look beautiful!) You should've linked to the paper.

katrice said...

Good job indeed! You go, Spice!

owen said...

I'm confused by the story. the reprocusions and the aftermath don't seem to make sense at all.

Lex said...

You go, Mama! Very nice job reminding him not to ever forget the brains behind the beauty. You rock.

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

ohhhhh....this is gonna be a wonderful love story....I can just feel it. LOL

And I was about to blast the man for his flippant attitude....and then you say he repeated word for word your comments....WOW


Good luck with this!