Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Chief. Part 1

He is my boss's boss. Hell, he is everybody's boss in this little corner of the world. I first met him three years ago. I was a part of a team that did a collaboration project with his company. We were in the middle of a meeting and he came into the room just to give official greetings. I could not concentrate for the rest of the afternoon.
Shortly thereafter, I got an offer I could not refuse with his organisation. On my first day, my CEO took me by the Chief's office for introductions. He was busy, he looked up at me and asked if I was related to a famous athlete. I did not even know who the athlete was but I tried to make a witty comeback. He dismissed me.
Months passed. I saw him only at official events. He always smiled and passed me by. I found him extremely attractive: handsome, smart, charming and allover um-um good. I googled him. I read his theories, speeches and presentations. I went to every function were he spoke.
One afternoon I went to a ceremony where he was giving a speech. I was late. He was already at the mike in the middle of one of his patented super suave oratories. Everyone hung on his words. The man can talk. There were no more seats so I stood. As he spoke he scanned the room, our eyes met and I tried to smile. He smiled, then stuttered and coughed. He dropped his papers.
I looked on in shock as he bent over to pick them up and knocked over the mike. A bunch of people sprang to his aid. He stood, paused for a moment and then coolly restarted his address. All of this was being broadcast live on TV and radio. He didn't look at me again for the rest of the presentation.
I wish my girlfriends had been there to tell me if I was imagining things. I stood at the back of the room with my cheeks hot for the next 45 minutes. When it was over I made a move towards the exit but the ushers and bodyguards blocked my way. I waited as they hustled to get him out of the building. 'Good afternoon Ms. Spice'. His hand was on my arm. I am certain my whole body flushed. Before I could think of a reply he was gone.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey spice, How does the beta version of blogger differ from the regular version? curious.

Crankyputz said...

You could be a chartiy wife!!!! Making him drop the mike during a presentation.....damn you must have a powerful aura.....will keep my fingers crossed for this one......

Melody said...

There's suppem there -- don't tell me U both just let it go. What? Was he married, & U both couldn't hear your own weddin' bells chimin' in de distance? Hmmm, he's prob'ly de ultra-formal guy U mentioned a few posts ago...
Anyway, enjoy Diwali if it isn't yet over.

Tanique said...

Anxiously awaiting the next part of the story.

Unknown said...

Some guys have all the luck. To be rich, powerful, famous, and now having the attention of an attractive woman. Oh man!

Abeni said...

Yes, what's the catch .sounds like something to explore Miss spice

Mighty Afroditee said...

ooohhhh....WOW!!! That was tantalising at best!!!

He had you at hello?

I waitin'!

Mad Bull said...

Isl. Spice! How could you tell that story about me? It was so embarrassing! ;)

Ok, just kidding, but I just know he is married. I second Afroditees comment.

Anonymous said...

Has to be married! But I'm with you - some men with power - mmmm

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

I like how this turning into yor memoirs :D

And yuh keeping people waiting for more too!

Island Spice said...

Aah folks.. there is more to tell.. same time next week. ;)

@ Gela: Beta has more layout options and is more user friendly. I am very technologically challenged..
@ Leon: thanks for saying / assuming that I'm attractive!! :)
@ Mad Bull: why yuh a try flop di story so? I was gonna go on to tell of how I found u again in the blogosphere.. now I will have to make up the rest!! ;)

Lex said...

Can't wait to hear the next part!

Are those not YOUR pics on your site?

OhTheJoys said...

Now I'm intrigued... looking forward to the next installment!

Mad Bull said...

I bet is one politician...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you both had each other at hail up! MI waan hear di rest!

Gela, how it sound like yuh waan switch back soh?

Anonymous said...

lol@CDestiny. No, just curious. To be honest though, now that I've experienced both, there are things I definitely prefer about bloggers