Wednesday, October 04, 2006

On new US passport requirements..

I promised myself no work related posts (except my o-so-subtle plugs) on this blog but today I changed my mind. Hell, its a woman's perorgative innit? Here are two articles detailing how we are being put in order by Uncle Sam yet again. Apparently this may be in response to Chavez's 'stinky devil' comments:

International Herald Tribune: Caribbean Criticises Change
Jamaica Observer:
US Drops Tourism Bombshell

I don't have any details on the reactions of the various islands affected but I am sure we will all be bending over backwards in an attempt to appease the US government in the morning. Lucky TT, no need to cling to tourist dollars when you have oil and natural gas..

9 comments:

Hottie Hottie said...

That still doesn't mean that you can ignore protocol. Manning can't make up his mind if to lick bamcee or bite the hand that feeds him. And, to borrow your favourite quote, "yuh mash meh corn girl!" I HATE to hear that "innit" thing. LOL! How yuh doing love? Yuh see Mr Nanton write meh?

Hottie Hottie said...

I see the American bullying continues.

Hottie Hottie said...

Well said Kingston girl. Any colour car once it black!

Island Spice said...

'any colour car once it black!' :)

Morning ladies. Hots dont get tie up in Mr. Nanton and him stories. NEXT!!!

That 'innit' is the remnants of years in Brum that I usually deny! Most people jus assume i said 'ent'

Cali J said...

hahah U know what I am not that mad at what the US did since we make our own peeps travel with passoports etc. I nearly got denied access to Jamaica my own native land because my passport had just expired. I just hope that our governments do not bend over backwards 'to accomodate'

Hottie Hottie said...

I've often wondered what manner of US national would not possess a passport and whether or not they would be the type the islands should be encouraging to visit

Parlancheq said...

Re: Joy's comment above: "Most US citizens have passports." I disagree! I would bet most do NOT have passports. Of course, most will never need passports because they will live and die without ever leaving the country. And for that family of four who was deciding between a trip to Disney or a trip to Jamaica, Mickey Mouse just got about $400 more attractive.

Island Spice said...

Welcome Joy! I beg to differ, according to the US dept of State only around 30% of the population has passports. It may not be difficult but Parlancheq's senario will play out in millions of homes.

Hottie, I agree but stick to my diplomacy training on that point:) The response has been significant as expected. More anon.

Unknown said...

I applaud "Butch" for standing up to the US. We've been kissing their pasty asses for far too long.