Monday, October 02, 2006

The Bipolar Mr. Clean

We met at a networking party. I actually knew him from before through work but had never spoken on a social level. So on this night he somehow got my number amidst all the card swapping and other such frivolity. Our first date went very well, he was endearingly warm and charming. He obviously knew of my love for golf because he took me to a lyme by the clubhouse. He was great fun and I agreed to see him again. The second date involved some of his friends and was at the Haagen Dazs cafe. Nice. He started talking about a jazz festival a few months later, at which time I mentioned that I was considering moving to another island and might not be around. For a minute there was angry looking flicker on his face but that passed.
Over the following weeks we became an item. of sorts. I guess. From early tho, I noticed some bad mood swings. He was the life of the party one day and a kind of snarky grinch the next. A friend said she heard he was manic-depressive, so I started tracking his mood swings. He was 'up' most of the time, but would have awful dark periods for about a week. During these down days he would tell me stories of how he was banished to live with his grandparents as a child, that his mom hates him and even that he was really the illegitimate child of the Prime Minister. WTF!?!? And those were the good days, on really bad days he would quarrel with, insult and belittle anyone in his path. Ugly.
So one day a few weeks before I was scheduled to leave, I was home packing boxes and he came over with chinese takeout to lyme. When he entered and saw the place filled with boxes he got all agitated, made an excuse and left. A few days later he called to say he had a gift for me. He came over with a bath mat set. *perplex* not only was that the tackiest gift EVER, surely he didn't mean for me to take it with me as my boxes had already been shipped. A few more days later he came over with a carpenter, a plan to build a bar on my patio and a set of handblown martini glasses. That's when I had to sit him down and say 'I am really leaving, the gifts are appreciated but I have no use for them.' then I made the mistake of suggesting he needed counselling. He blew up and stormed out the house.
During my last days before moving I was partying and lyming alot. I saw him many places I went and he didn't speak to me. Not only did he not speak to me, he made a point of greeting my friends and turning his nose up at me. Once I said goodnight and got a 'I'm not trying to hear that!' response. When I was in the plane on my departure day I got a text 'I will always be here but you have some things you need to work out before there can be an us'. Well you know what they say about he who laughs last ...
Lesson Learnt: Crazy is what crazy do. Sometimes its really not my problem. I been home since, seen him and he continues to ignore me.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Weird fellow.

Christina_the_wench said...

Eek. Good thing you moved. This one sounds either needy or stalker-like. Steer clear either way. Life's too short, you know?

Scratchie said...

Strange sounding character...must be related to my boss... :D

Island Spice said...

Welcome Leon and Christina .. 2 of my favourite bloggers! *happy dance*

Scratchie: mind sharp he IS your boss!! What industry u in??

JR's Thumbprints said...

Here's a line I use when someone says something absurb and tries to get me to feel bad: Why am I embarrassed for you?

Happy island hopping!

Mad Bull said...

So is that your picture in the sidebar? Yeah, yeah, I know its off topic, but I can't help but ask?

Anonymous said...

He definitely sounds mental. I'll be glad to counsel him for you :)

OK, now I'm all caught up on your blog! Cool!!

Irie Latino said...

Bwoy,
When I first saw this blog I thought this girl can't keep this blog interesting for long if it is just about the men she has met and her thoughts on guys and relationships. Now, Island Spice, I am seeing a book deal in your future lol. Your blog has a kind of Sex And The City feel about it except it's in the West Indies of course. I'll be checking back regularly!

Island Spice said...

Welcome Mad Bull, Cool Destiny and Irie Latino!! Thanks for the support. I am so happy that you like my blog :)

Mad Bull: if u are referring to the pic of the girl lying down no its not me...BUT.. someone sent me that pic because they thought it was me. Apparently I kinda look like that..BUT .. I gots bigger jugs!! ;)

Mad Bull said...

Ok... I'm cool wit' dat!

Crankyputz said...

Ahh the crazy ones....why are there so many of them??

Hottie Hottie said...

WHY is this sounding like I dated this guy too? Spice girl, welcome to my world. P.S. yuh in Trini now so the spelling is 'lime'. When you moved down on this side? And yuh never finish telling meh the Tesco story!

Oswyn said...

Spice I like yuh new layout yuh know. Very Cinnamony. It's definitely you.

Oswyn said...

And by the way...If you see crazy coming towrds you, cross the street.

And yeah, I have to side with Hottie, the word is "lime". lol. I still like yuh though.

Island Spice said...

aww shucks Mani...
you think I'm cinnamony? :)
*blush*

Oswyn said...

Lol, well your name is Island Spice. I assume you have to be at least a little cinnamony.

Anonymous said...

yeah big juggs tend to make me crazy too :(

Unknown said...

WOW! He sounds like a case for my Abnormal Psychology class. No joking. That is someone to leave alone oui!

Parlancheq said...

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is lyme (lime)??

Unknown said...

Love the new layout!

This guy is a strange one. Good thing you know he's the one with the problem.

...and the wife?

Island Spice said...

Welcome shyaboutthisstuff. Glad you like the layout. Boggled by the wife question ..